Selfish parents exist in this world who destroy their kid's life, if you also have selfish parents with whom you have an unhealthy relationship then we have quotes for you to deal with such kind of parents.
What Effects Do Narcissistic Parents Have on Your Mental Health?
Being raised by a narcissist can have a significant negative impact on your mental health. These parents are seen as perfect and caring in public. They rant, scream, and criticize behind closed doors. The parent will have complete control over the child's life, will be possessive of the child, and will regard the child as an extension of the parent.
Adult offspring of narcissistic parents are afraid that doing what is good for them would harm someone else. They've been 'taught' to think about their parents' needs first and foremost, therefore it's difficult for them to think about their own needs without feeling selfish. It's easy to become paralyzed by indecision and guilt.
2. Internalized Gaslighting is the second type of internalized gaslighting.
Gaslighting is a type of psychological manipulation in which a person or a group subtly sows seeds of doubt in a target individual's memory, perception, or judgment. When a parent denies a past incident, their child's feelings about the event are invalidated. This is an example of gaslighting.
3. Loyalty & Guilt for Moving On
Adult children may find it difficult to walk away from caring for and loving their narcissistic parent, even after growing up in a world of lies, manipulation, and abuse. They will most likely feel guilty for attempting to step back or set boundaries, and they may even fall into relationships with narcissistic people. They are familiar with manipulative and conditional affection, but pure love may appear frightening.
4. They don't pay attention to their own needs
The parent's ambitions are overlooked as they live vicariously via their child. The youngster learns that his or her needs and aspirations are unimportant. To stay in the good graces of their parents, they focus on pleasing them.
5. Self-blame is a problem that people have had for a long time.
Whether or not the parent is verbally or physically abusive to their child, they are usually emotionally unavailable and too absorbed with themselves and their own problems to hear their child's misery. To keep the family together, the youngster avoids criticizing their parents and instead places all of the blame on themselves.
This can even continue into adulthood, with the adult child taking responsibility for things that aren't always their fault. In order to keep the peace, they become the scapegoat in numerous instances.
As selfishness and complaint pervert the mind, so love with its joy clears and sharpens the vision.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Parents raise children then grow old, and their children forget the things their old parents did for them because their brains don’t remember before they grew selfish.
Selfish persons are incapable of loving others, but they are not capable of loving themselves either.
Selfishness comes from poverty in the heart, from the belief that love is not abundant.
Selfishness must always be forgiven you know because there is no hope of a cure.
That man who lives for self alone lives for the meanest mortal known.
There are many selfish people who are extremely original, then they take those pure ideas and use them to raise themselves up, that is an insincere move.
There are many things that we would throw away if we were not afraid that others might pick them up.
No man will work for your interests unless they are his.
Children see in their parents the past, their parents see in them the future; and if we find more love in the parents for their children than in children for their parents, this is sad but natural. Who does not entertain his hopes more than his recollections?
Every man builds his world in his own image. He has the power to choose, but no power to escape the necessity of choice.
Selfish Parents Quotes
Being a selfish parent is a sign of not having learned from experience.
I want someday to be able to love with the same intensity and unselfishness that parents love their children with.
Selfish people lost so much in life because even when they realize they are wrong, they don’t know how to ask for forgiveness or show regrets.
All parents believe their children can do the impossible. They thought it the minute we were born, and no matter how hard we’ve tried to prove them wrong, they all think it about us now. And the really annoying thing is, they’re probably right.
Quotes About Irresponsible and Selfish Parents
- “As a parent, you should be more concerned with your child’s happiness than your petty insecurities and jealousies.” – Unknown
- “Anyone can have a child and call themselves “a parent”. A real parent is someone who puts that child above their own selfish needs and wants.” – Unknown
- “My parents loved us, but I wasn’t always sure they liked us.” – Tahereh Mafi
- “Children shouldn’t have to sacrifice so that you can have the life you want. You make sacrifices so your children can have the life that they deserve.” – Unknown
- “Parents forgive their children least readily for the faults they themselves instilled in them.” – Unknown
- “Being a parent shouldn’t be when it is convenient for you. It is a 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year commitment.” – Unknown
- “They are not sorry for harming you. So, don’t feel guilty for cutting them off.” – John Mark Green
- “Just remember when you are ignoring your child, you are teaching them to live without you.” – Unknown
- “Selfish parents may someday realize what damage they have done that can never be undone.” – Unknown
- “It is the selfish parents who are to blame. Pay attention, be involved in your children’s lives. They are your legacy, your only hope.” – Aaron B. Powell
- “Good parenting gives headaches, but bad parenting gives heartaches.” – Shiv Khera
- “Put your child’s likes before your selfishness.”– Anonymous
- “No man should bring children into the world who is unwilling to persevere to the end in their nature and education.” – Plato
- “If your parents ignored you, or if they are just not emotionally available, or if they yell a lot, that is a type of trauma.” – Tucker Max
- “Instead of treating your child like how you were treated. Treat them with the same love and attention you wanted from your parents while growing up.” – Jonathan Anthony Burkett
- It hurts to have a child removed from you for no reason at all. But think about the pain of the child who is being used to hurt you. Now that’s painful
Unhealthy RealtionShip With Selfish Parents Quotes
- “They should love you, just as you are. Parents should love their kids, right?” “You’d think so.” – N.R. Walker
- “Being a parent does not give you an excuse for bad manners.” – Rosalind Wiseman
- “Fear-based parenting is the surest way to create intimidated children.” – Tim Kimmel
- “Good parenting give headaches, but bad parenting gives heartaches.” – Shiv Khera
- “There are no illegitimate children – only illegitimate parents.” – Leon R. Yankwich
- “If mental abuse was a punishable crime, a lot of parents would be in jail serving a long term.” – Maddy Malhotra
- “Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being.” – Kittie Frantz
- “If you teach hatred to your children, one day your child will have that hatred reflected back onto them and onto YOU.” – Suzy Kassem
- “Today’s troubled homes are made by parents who want to have children but don’t want their children to have parents.” – Agona Apell
- “Wounded parents often unintentionally inflict pain and suffering on their children …” – David W. Earle
- “We raise predators by treating children as prey.” – Stefan Molyneux
- “Kids are fat because of lack of parenting.” – Ben Shapiro
- “You shouldn’t do that. Not to your child. You should carry your own burdens.” – Cassandra Clare
- “No child is born a delinquent. They only became that way if nobody loved them when they were kids.” – Jeannette Walls
- “Here’s a shock: An adult who still hangs out in skate parks is a bad parent.” – Daniel Tosh
Toxic Selfish Parents Quotes
- “To be in your children’s memories tomorrow, you have to be in their lives today.”
- “Selfishness is that detestable vice which no one will forgive in others, and no one is without himself.”
- “If you love your children, why brainwash them into thinking the other parent doesn’t care?
- “Nothing is weaker or smaller than the man who hurts women or children whether by his actions or by his words.”
- “Just remember when you are ignoring them, you are teaching them to live without you.”
- “Denying a child the joy and memories of being with the other parent is an act of “pure evil”.
- “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.”
Unhealthy Relationship Selfish Parents Quotes
Control, manipulation, and possessiveness is the name of their game. Trials and tests.
Toxic parents are the root cause of all dysfunctional families because the fish rots first at its head. Trials and tests.
All of us develop our expectations about how people will treat us based on our relationships with our parents. Susan Forward.
In troubled families, abuse and neglect are permitted. It’s talking about them that is forbidden. Marcia Sirota.
An unpredictable parent is a fearsome god in the eyes of a child. Susan Forward.
You don’t have to carry on the legacy of their abuse and the hurt it caused you. Trials and tests.
Manipulation and control are favorite weapons abusive dads often use on their children for control. Trials and tests.
Your toxic parent may charm the pants off perfect strangers, your friends, and more distant relatives. All of which just appear to make you out the bad guy. The bright hill lanterns.
Many children of toxic parents find it exceptionally difficult to identify who they are once they grow up. JR Thorpe.
Good parenting gives headaches but bad parenting gives heartaches. Shiv Khera
What’s so sad is when we’re younger, if you have a bad parent, that is normal to you and that’s what you think of as healthy. Jennifer Lawrence
Too bad for any parent who has become accustomed to the ruling by force, because at some point the kids just get too big to slap around. Barbara Ehrenreich
Parents are the last people on earth who ought to have children. Samuel Butler
I’m worried about parents who aren’t parenting. Barbara Bush
Toxic Selfish Parents Messages
Parenthood's self-regarding, yet unselfish, abandon is achieved by looking deeply into your child's eyes and seeing both yourself and something entirely strange in him and then developing a fanatical devotion to every feature of him. It's amazing how frequently such mutuality has been realized - how often parents who thought they couldn't care for a special child discover that they can. Even under the most trying of situations, the parental propensity to love triumphs. "The world has more imagination than one may suppose."
Don't enrage your parents for the sake of pleasing others." Others did not spend their lives constructing yours.
Our lives were brief, and we would never wish for them to be any shorter." Perspective arrives far too late in certain cases. You can't rely on yourself. You believe you can, yet you are unable to do so. It's not because you're a jerk. You can't live for the sake of others. You can't stay alive just because other people want you to stay alive, no matter how much you want to. You can't live for the sake of your parents. You can't live for the sake of your buddies. And you have no obligation to keep them alive. You owe no one anything but yourself if you want to survive.
Quotes About Selfishness of People Around You
- “To be happy, we must not be too concerned with others.” ― Albert Camus
- “Almost every sinful action ever committed can be traced back to a selfish motive. It’s a trait we hate in other people but justify in ourselves.” – Stephen Kendrick
- “Foolish, selfish people are always thinking of themselves and the result is always negative. Wise persons think of others, helping them as much as they can, and the result is happiness. Love and compassion are beneficial both for you and others. Through your kindness to others, your mind and heart will open to peace.” – Dalai Lama
- “Selfish people are, by definition, those whose activities are devoted to bringing themselves happiness. Yet. . . these selfish people are far less likely to be happy than those whose efforts are devoted to making others happy.” – Bernard Rimland
- “Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
- “Being sorry is the highest act of selfishness, seeing value only after discarding it.” – Douglas Horton
- “Selfishness keeps man blind through life.” – Hazrat Inayat Khan
- “Putting yourself first is not selfish. Thinking about yourself constantly is selfish. Please respect the difference.” – Anonymous
- “Selfish people tend to only be good to themselves… then are surprised when they are alone.” – Steve Maraboli
Narcissistic Selfish Parents Quotes
- “How man narcissists does it take to screw in a light bulb? None, they don’t use light bulbs, they use gaslighting!”
- “Love without sacrifice is like theft” ― Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- “When I look at narcissism through the vulnerability lens, I see the shame-based fear of being ordinary. I see the fear of never feeling extraordinary enough to be noticed, to be lovable, to belong, or to cultivate a sense of purpose.” ― Brené Brown
- If you hold onto hurt and anger the children will have no normal parent. The narcissistic parent will use them as puppets, lovebomb, and abandon them. You are their only hope. @TRACYMALONE
- “Dysfunctional parents do not apologize. It is one feature that the children of narcissists would instantly agree on. They will lie and justify themselves, but never accept they did anything wrong.” ― Diana Macey
- "Exercising power & control to punish a fit & caring parent or family member by withholding their demonstrations of love from a child, is parent alienation. There is no justification for making the pool of love for a child any less than as big as it possibly can be. None." -- @narcwise.com
- “By undermining you they make sure that if you complain about the narcissistic parent nobody will believe you because they already have a certain negative image of you. Again, this abusive behavior is just how narcissists live day today. The plotting and manipulation is necessary to twist others around their false image.” ― Diana Macey
- “Children of narcissistic parents are often turned against their siblings in a competition to vie for the affection and love they always craved but never received.” @RebelliousGoat
- “Narcissists don’t see their children as separate people that have a right to experience life from their own angle. There is no option in their heads in which the kids will be in charge of their own lives ‘unaided’ by the narcissist.” ― Diana Macey