The death (loss) of a father can be one of the most difficult experiences a person can have. You may feel a tremendous sense of emptiness and fragility when you lose your father, who you've known your entire life.
It's natural to miss someone who was so significant in our life, such as a parent. It's a great shock to find your father suddenly gone when all you've known is him constantly being there.
Losing your father also means losing your sense of security, as well as the man you looked up to and who was always there for you during your worst moments.
It's natural to think to yourself, "I miss you, dad," long after he's passed away. And it's difficult not to let his grief become your most vivid memory of him.
However, among the anguish and grief, the treasured memories we have of our fathers can bring some solace. When we reflect on our fathers and the contributions they made to our lives.
Loss Of Dad Quotes
- “Dad, wherever you are, you are gone but you will never be forgotten” – Conrad Hall
- “My Father didn’t tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it” – Clarence Budington Kelland
- “We became friends, not just father, and son” – Richard Bergeron
- “With sons and fathers, there’s an inexplicable connection and imprint that your father leaves on you” – Brad Pitt
- “The greatest gift I ever had came from God, and I call him Dad!” – Unknown
- “My dad was my best friend and greatest role model. He was an amazing dad, coach, mentor, soldier, husband and friend” – Tiger Woods
- “Thanks, Dad, for all those extraordinary lessons you taught me – without even trying” – Unknown
- “A father is neither an anchor to hold us back nor a sail to take us there but a guiding light whose love shows us the way” – Unknown
Miss You Lost Dad Quotes
- “That man is a success – who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much, who has gained the respect of intelligent men and the love of children, who has filled his niche and accomplished his task. who leaves the world better than he found it, who has never lacked appreciation of earth’s beauty or failed to express it, who looked for the best in others and gave the best he had.” – Unknown
- “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could ever give another person. He believed in me.” – Jim Valvano
- “My appreciation for my father’s greatness cannot be measured.” – Jennifer Williamson
- “When my father didn’t have my hand, he had my back.” -- Linda Poindexter
- “And when great souls die, after a period peace blooms, slowly and always irregularly.” -- Maya Angelou
Missing Dad Quotes From Daughter
- “Dad, your guiding hand on my shoulder will remain with me forever.” – Unknown
- “Dad is and always will be my living, breathing superhero.” – Bindi Irwin
- “When I was a child, all problems had ended with a single word from my father. A smile from him was sunshine, his scowl a bolt of thunder. He was smart, generous, and honorable without fail. He could exile a trespasser, check my math homework, and fix the leaky bathroom sink, all before dinner. For the longest time, I thought he was invincible. Above the petty problems that plagued normal people. And now he was gone.” – Rachel Vincent
- “You have been there for me, no matter what bad choices I might have made… you lovingly repaired my broken spirit, helped me plot a new course, and set me free to fly on my own once again. There is no greater love than that. You will always be special to me, and no matter where life takes me, I’ll remember you with love.” – Marilyn K. Deacon
- “To her, the name of father was another name for love.” – Fanny Fern
- “The loss of my father will always sting. But now, everything that I do is in honor of him and celebrates his life” – Adrienne C. Moore
- “A father holds his daughter’s hand for a short while, but he holds her heart forever” – Unknown
- “The love between a father and daughter is forever” – Unknown
- “I am not ashamed to say that no man I ever met was my father’s equal, and I never loved any other man as much” – Hedy Lamarr
- “My dear father; my dear friend; the best and wisest man I ever knew, who taught me many lessons and showed me many things as we went together along with the country by-ways” – Sarah Orne Jewett
- “Dad, even a fleeting memory of your loving smile is enough to light up my darkest days” – Unknown
- “One of the greatest gifts I’ve ever gotten came from God. I call him daddy” – Unknown
- “They don’t make men like my daddy anymore” – Loretta Lynn
Missing Dad Quotes From Son
- “I think about me and my dad taking a road trip from Phoenix to Nashville when I was 1He’s no longer here with me, but I still drive that same 1994 Chevy truck. I never have bought a new car.” – Dierks Bentley
- “The loss of my father was the most traumatic event in my life – I can’t forget the pain.” – Frank Lowy
- “It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons.” – Johann Friedrich Von Schiller
Loss of Dad In Heaven Quotes
- “Say not in grief ‘he is no more but in thankfulness that he was.” – Hebrew Proverb
- “No matter where I am, your spirit will be beside me. For I know that no matter what, you will always be with me.” – Tram-Tiara T. Von Reichenbach
- “If there ever comes a day when we can’t be together, keep me in your heart. I’ll stay there forever.” – Winnie the Pooh
- “May each tear and each fond memory be a note of love rising to meet you.” – Jennifer Williamson
- “Deeply, I know this, that love triumphs over death. My father continues to be loved, and therefore he remains by my side.” – Jennifer Williamson
- “You will always be in my heart… because in there you’re still alive.” – Jamie Cirello
- “When I was little I bragged about my firefighting father: my father would go to heaven because if he went to hell he would put out all the fires.” – Jodi Picoult
Loss of A Father Sayings
- Even though it hurts, I keep thinking about you, Dad. I'd do anything to be able to relive those memories once more.
- I'm grateful for all the memories we've made together, Dad. I really wish you were here to help me make some more.
- There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of you. I wish I still had your insight to help me navigate my daily life.
- Every day has been difficult without you, but today, in particular, I can't help but think how much I wish you were here with me.
- You were a guiding light in my life, and I'm reminded of how fortunate I was to have you for as long as I had today. To the moon and back, I adore you.
- How fortunate am I to have had such a lovely father that I miss you so much? As much as I miss having you around, I'm relieved to hear you're happy.
- My love for you will never die, even if you are no longer with me. Dad, I miss you.
- I never had the opportunity to express how much you meant to me, father. And now that you're gone, it's too late, and all I can do is miss you.
- I couldn't imagine loving anybody more than you, Dad. I shall always miss you.
- Dad, you will always have a special place in my heart. Every day, I miss you.
- It's because the time I spent with you was so wonderful, and the love we shared was so intense, that I miss you so much. I was so fortunate, yet it only adds to the pain. I am who I am now due to your guidance, teachings, and love. With each passing day, I miss you more.
Missing A Father Sayings
- You never think the day will arrive when your father isn't sitting in his favorite chair or reading the newspaper. There is nothing that can prepare you for that. And no matter how much time goes by, how many years pass, you still miss your father as if he left only yesterday. Dad, you will always have a special place in my heart. I'm really missing you.
- Dad, wherever you are, I hope you're gazing down on me and keeping an eye on me, as you always did. I miss you so much that it hurts.
- You will be profoundly missed and remembered as the best father that ever lived. I owe you far more than you can ever imagine. My dear father, I bid you farewell.
- When I lost you, dad, everything changed. It's so difficult to carry on as if nothing has changed or to return to normalcy now that you've left, but I can't. I can't seem to get over how much I miss you.
- There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about you, and there isn't a second that I don't miss you. Goodbye, dad. I consider myself fortunate to have loved someone so deeply, but I am saddened by your departure. I miss you, your warmth, and your ability to make things seem fine.
- Thank you, Dad, for everything you've done for us. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have had you as a parent. I miss you terribly. You were there when I was a child when I fell, and you took me up and made everything right. You then did the same with whatever challenges I had as I grew older. I'm not sure what I'll do without you, Dad; I miss you so much.
- It's very difficult to know you're not among us anymore every day. I miss you and wish you were still with us, father.
- Even though I miss you more than anybody else, my only hope and comfort are that you are happy and looking down on me wherever you are.
Loving and Missing Father Quotes
- “A father’s love is forever imprinted on his child’s heart” – Jennifer Williamson
- “This is the price you pay for having a great father. You get the wonder, the joy, the tender moments – and you get the tears at the end, too” – Harlan Coben
- “No matter how old we are, we still need our dads, and wonder how we’ll get by without them” – Jennifer Williamson
- “He was a father. That’s what a father does. Eases the burdens of those he loves. Saves the ones he loves from painful last images that might endure for a lifetime” – George Saunders
- “My father didn’t tell me how to live. He lived and let me watch him do it” – Unknown
Death Of A Father Quotes
- “It’s so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.” John Steinbeck
- “I should know enough about the loss to realizing that you never really stop missing someone-you just learn to live around the huge gaping hole of their absence.” Alyson Noel
- “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” Vicki Harrison
- “Everything I do in my life I do to make my mum and dad proud. I want to carry on in my dad’s footsteps and make sure that his legacy lives on forever.” Bindi Irwin
- “It doesn’t matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was.” Anne Sexton
- “Wherever you find a great man, you will find a great mother or a great wife standing behind him — or so they used to say. It would be interesting to know how many great women have had great fathers and husbands behind them.” Dorothy L. Sayers
- “He didn’t tell me how to live; he lived and let me watch him do it.” Clarence Budington Kelland
- “When a great man dies, for years the light he leaves behind him, lies on the paths of men.” Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime and falling in at night. I miss you like hell.” Edna St. Vincent Millay
Comforting Death Of A Father Quotes
- “There is no expiration date on the love between a father and his child.” Jennifer Williamson
- “Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.” Leo Buscaglia
- “A father is neither an anchor to hold us back, nor a sail to take us there, but a guiding light whose love shows us the way.” -- Unknown
Loss Of A Father Sayings
- I'm sure your father is still keeping an eye on you.
- Sending you our heartfelt condolences during this difficult time.
- Recognize that you are not on your own.
- At this point, words of consolation are insufficient.
- You'll cherish the memories he offered you for the rest of your life.
- Please accept our heartfelt condolences and prayers.
- Praying for an indescribable calm to settle in your hearts.
- May your father's memories bring you serenity and comfort.
- I'm sorry for your grief during this difficult moment.
- Your father's love can never be matched.
Loss Of Father Comforting Sayings
- Your beautiful father will be missed greatly. Many people looked up to him.
- His spirit will continue to live on in my heart. And I'll always keep him close to me.
- I'm sorry for your father's passing; please accept my sympathies.
- From our family to yours, our heartfelt condolences. We are separated by thousands of miles, but love binds us together.
- We're sad to learn of your father's passing. He left an indelible mark on the lives of everybody who knew him.
- I'm sending you my condolences on the passing of your father. We will also miss him.
- I am deeply saddened by the news of your father's passing. He was like a father to me, and I will deeply miss him.
Comforting Messages For Someone Who Lost His Father
- It gives me comfort to know that your father's suffering has come to an end and that he is at peace with God.
- No one in the world compares to your father. He was a unique individual.
- I know your father has been through a lot and has fought valiantly. His adventure has come to an end here, but it has only just begun on the other side.
- You were quite fortunate to have such a wonderful father. I'll never forget the time I spent with him.
- I was really taken aback when I learned of your father's death. I understand how important he was to you and everyone else who knew him.
- I want you to know how wonderful your father was, and how much he loved you.
Loss Of Father Quotes Sad
- The sudden loss of her father was like living with a wound that would never heal, yet her memories of him were fading more and more every day. -- Frank Beddor
- The death of a parent is rarely expected and never accepted. -- Shane Pendley
- The death of my father is probably the biggest thing I ever faced. Daddy and I were best friends. -- Joel Osteen
- Upon the death of my father, our family and I were emotionally and financially exhausted. -- Sam Sheppard
- Who doesn't desire his father's death? -- Fyodor Dostoevsky
- Those who have never had a father can at any rate never know the sweetness of losing one. To most men, the death of his father is a new lease of life. -- Samuel Butler
- Death is the liberator of him whom freedom cannot release, the physician of him whom medicine cannot cure, and the comforter of him whom time cannot console. -- Charles Caleb Colton
- I love you every day. And now I will miss you every day. -- Mitch Albom
- Such a funny thing death is for mortals. You cry. You morn. You grieve. You get angry. But death is not always tragic, dear one. Sometimes death is the ultimate expression of love. -- R.K. Ryals
- Death never pierces the heart so much as when it takes someone we love; cleaving the heart they held with their passing. -- Brandon M. Herbert
- Death is the wish of some, the relief of many, and the end of all. -- Seneca
- Death never takes the wise man by surprise, he is always ready to go. -- Jean de la Fontaine
- Death is a commingling of eternity with time; in the death of a good man, eternity is seen looking through time. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Inspirational Quotes About Loss of Father
- "When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure." -- Unknown
- "If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again." -- Unknown
- "Although it's difficult today to see beyond the sorrow, May looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow." -- Unknown
- "Grief is itself a medicine." -- William Cowper
- "Memory is a way of holding on to the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose." -- from The Wonder Years
- "The risk of love is loss, and the price of loss is grief - But the pain of grief is only a shadow when compared with the pain of never risking love." -- Hillary Stanton Zunin
- "You cannot prevent the birds of sorrow from flying over your head, but you can prevent them from building nests in your hair." -- Old Chinese proverb
- "Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love, leaves a memory no one can steal." -- From a headstone in Ireland
- "Grief is not a disorder, a disease, or a sign of weakness. It is an emotional, physical and spiritual necessity, the price you pay for love. The only cure for grief is to grieve." -- Earl Grollman
- "Nothing that grieves us can be called little; by the external laws of proportion a child's loss of a doll and a king's loss of a crown are events of the same size." -- Mark Twain
- "There's a bit of magic in everything, and some loss to even things out." -- Lou Reed
Grief Father Loss Quotes
- “The darker the night, the brighter the stars, the deeper the grief, the closer is God!” — Fyodor Dostoevsky
- “No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear.” — C.S. Lewis
- “Without you in my arms, I feel an emptiness in my soul. I find myself searching the crowds for your face—I know it’s an impossibility, but I cannot help myself.” — Nicholas Sparks
- “Come back. Even as a shadow, even as a dream.” ― Euripides
- “Grief is an amputation, but hope is incurable hemophilia: You bleed and bleed and bleed.” ― David Mitchell
- “There is no grief like the grief that does not speak.” ― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “Grief is a curious thing when it happens unexpectedly. It is a band-aid being ripped away, taking the top layer off a family. And the underbelly of a household is never pretty, ours no exception.” ― Jodi Picoult
Missing Lost Dad Messages and Sayings
- Losing a loved one is like losing a piece of ourselves. Because of your father's death, you're going through a difficult moment, and I know it'll be difficult for you to get through it. There is no way to make up for the loss, yet it is vital to living. May God grant you relief from your pain!
- My life seems to be shrouded in dismal clouds, with no ray of hope in sight. Without you, Dad, I'm not sure how I'll find the sun that is gone from my day. This suffering is indescribable. I adore you, Dad, and I miss you terribly!
- Dad, if I could bring anyone back to life, it would be you. I still can't believe you're no longer with us.
- You've always been my pillar of strength and the source of my joy. Dad, you've moved away from me now. Your death physically separated us, but nothing will ever be able to take you out of my heart. I'm sure you're keeping an eye on me and will continue to adore and bless me from on high.
- I am heartbroken about your loss. True, your father has gone to God, but he will always remember you with affection, and you must battle for your life in order to accomplish his desire. Don't give up; you must persevere. I'll always be there for you.
- Heaven is rejoicing today because it has received the best present ever. You were my best friend, my best parent, and my everything.
Losing a parent is one of the most distressing and universal human experiences. And, while we may comprehend that the death of a parent is unavoidable in the abstract, knowing this does not make the grief any less intense when a mother or father passes away. Losing a parent is heartbreaking and painful, and it has a long-term biological and psychological impact on children of all ages. Nothing is ever the same after the death of a mother or father; it is a life-changing event.
"In the best-case scenario," explains psychiatrist Nikole Benders-Hadi, MD, Medical Director of Behavioral Health at Doctor on Demand, "losing a parent is anticipated, and there is time for families to prepare, say their goodbyes, and surround themselves with support."